How to Apply
UBC’s MEL and MHLP are 12-month full-time or 24-month part-time professional leadership master’s degrees. The programs were designed for practising professionals who are motivated and eager to deepen their technical abilities and leadership skills. Our rigorous selection process enables us to build a dynamic and diverse cohort of students ready to take on new challenges.
Please read the following information regarding:
The online application portal for January 2022 admissions, opens January 1, 2021, with the last international deadline on June 30, 2021.
|Application Round||Application Accepted||Application Deadline||Decisions Made By|
|Round 1||International & Domestic||March 30, 2021||April 30, 2021|
|Round 2||International & Domestic||June 30, 2021||July 30, 2021|
|Round 3||Domestic & US Applicants only||September 30, 2021||October 30, 2021|
Choose the application round that suits you best. Applying early has advantages – this allows for study permit processing time, but also for planning for your move, family and finances.
Applications, including all documents and references, must be uploaded and completed before the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. To ensure you complete your application correctly, please use the application checklist.
There are benefits to applying early: more time to ensure your application is complete by the deadline, more time for your study permit application and finally, more time to organize your relocation to Vancouver. Apply early and skip the stress!
Can I apply?
Make sure you are eligible to apply before starting your application. Still not sure if you’re eligible? Request a Call. Our Student Recruitment Specialist is happy to discuss and answer any questions you may have.
What do I need to apply?
Review the Application Checklist and gather your supporting documents, such as your statement of interest, resume or CV, and transcripts.
How do I apply?
- Watch the quick How to Apply Guide to become familiar with the simple 5 application stages and requirements
- Click Apply Now to begin your online application. Don’t worry – you can save your application at any point, and continue working at another time.
- If you have never applied to UBC before, create your Campus Wide Login (CWL). If you already have one, sign in.
How do I ensure my application is complete?
- Upload all supporting documents, as prompted by your application portal. This will include documents such as your statement of interest, CV or resume, transcripts, English language proficiency results (if applicable).
- Whenever possible, use your referees’ institutional or business email addresses. Referees with free web-based email providers, such as Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo, cannot access the online application portal and must submit their reference via postal mail. This may cause delays with your application.
How do I submit my application?
- Click submit and pay your non-refundable application fee. This is CAD 108.00 for domestic applicants, and CAD 168.25 for international applicants.
- You are welcome to apply to more than one specialization, but unique applications and application fees are required. You may submit your application once per calendar year, per program.
What to expect after submitting my application?
- Your referees will be automatically emailed as soon as you submit and paid your application fee.
- Check the application portal to see if your three references have submitted their reference letters or reference forms. Need to change a reference contact? You can do this on your online application portal.
When will I hear back?
- All applicants will be notified by email 4-6 weeks after the application deadline, whether you have been admitted or not.
- Add email@example.com to your contacts, to avoid important notifications going to your junk email folder. Please check your email daily in case we need any additional information to assess your application.
What are my next steps if I receive an offer?
- Review your conditional offer letter and the attached documents carefully.
- Prepare your questions – a representative of the MEL and MHLP team will give you a phone call within a week or so, to help you with your next steps.
- Arrange to have your official transcripts and English proficiency test scores (if applicable) sent directly to the UBC MEL and MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees office. See submitting your documents for further details on transcript and English test submissions.
- Fulfill any other conditions described on your conditional offer letter.
Accept an Offer of Admission
- Accept your offer on your application portal and submit a non-refundable CAD 5,000 deposit to accept your admissions offer and secure your seat. This deposit will be credited to your first tuition installment. Instructions on how to pay your deposit will be emailed to you and submit a non-refundable CAD 5,000 deposit to accept your admissions offer and secure your seat. This deposit will be credited to your first tuition instalment. Instructions on how to pay your deposit will be emailed to you.
- Begin applying for your study permit (if applicable). Do not wait for your unconditional offer letter to start.
- You will receive your unconditional admission letter once we have received your deposit and supporting documents.
Get ready for your next steps
- Watch your email inbox. We will send you a series of emails to take you through everything you need to know – from course registration, to relocating, to prepare for your courses.
- Admitted students will be invited to a series of 3 webinars where you will have a chance to ask your questions, meet the MEL and MHLP team, and your future classmates.
Join us and deepen your knowledge in your technical specialty and propel your career forward.