English Language Proficiency
To succeed in the UBC Master of Engineering Leadership and Master of Health Leadership and Policy programs, you need to be able to speak, listen, read and write in English at a high level.
If you completed your degree at a university in a country where English is not the only official language, you may need to provide results of an English language proficiency examination as part of your application:
I COMPLETED MY UNDERGRADUATE OR MASTER’S DEGREE OUTSIDE OF CANADA AT AN ENGLISH-SPEAKING UNIVERSITY.
If your transcript or degree certificate states that the language of instruction for your degree was English, you do not need to complete an English language proficiency test.
If your transcript or degree certificate does not state this, you must complete an English language proficiency test. Please note that we cannot accept letters from the institution stating that your degree was taught in English: this information must be included directly on your transcript.
I COMPLETED MY UNDERGRADUATE OR MASTER’S DEGREE IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE.
If you completed your undergraduate or master’s degree in a language other than English, you are required to complete an English language proficiency test, and you must meet specific scores for each component of the test.
All English language proficiency tests must be taken within 24 months of the date you submit your application. Although we will accept either official or unofficial results during your application, we require official results as a condition of your acceptance to the program.
You must submit your official test results directly to UBC. Please review the instructions about how to submit documents to avoid delays and ensure your application is complete.
Acceptable tests and minimum scores
TOEFL internet-based exam (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or TOEFL iBT Home Edition
- A minimum score of 90 with minimum component scores of 22 in reading and listening, and minimum component scores of 21 in writing and speaking.
TOEFL paper-based test
- A minimum score of 55 each for reading, listening and writing, and 4.0 on the Test of Written English.
- Please note that we no longer accept the computer-based test with the essay and Institutional Testing Report (ITP)
Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing Service)
- A minimum overall band score of 6.5 with no other component score less than 6.0.
- Please note that we cannot accept general IELTS test scores.
CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment)
- A minimum overall score of 70 is required, with a minimum score of 60 on the speaking sub-test.
UBC English Language Institute
English for Academic Purposes (EAP): You must achieve 75% in each component of the 600 level. Learn more here.
PTE (Pearson Test of English – Academic)
- A minimum overall score of 65 on the academic (not general) test with a minimum score of 60 in reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
- A minimum overall MELAB final score of 85 (with 3 in the speaking test).
Alternative English language proficiency tests
- CAE (Certificate in Advanced English): B
- CPE (Certificate of Proficiency in English): C
Other acceptable English language proficiency tests can be found here.
I HAVE COMPLETED AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY TEST, BUT IT WILL EXPIRE SOON.
You must have taken an English language test within 24 months of the date you submit your application. If your test results are about to expire, submit both the official and unofficial results with your online application. This will prevent you from having to retake the test.
Watch the following video to review the English language proficiency criteria and see if you meet the program’s English language proficiency requirements.