UBC MEL MHLP Professional Leadership Master Degrees

International Students

UBC welcomes international students. We offer a range of support services for international students, and UBC advisors can help you with everything from visas to health insurance and more.

Additional Documentation Requirements

As an international student, you will need:

A valid passport

  • Please make sure that your passport is valid for the entire length of your studies in Canada
  • If your passport expires while you’re in Canada, all of your immigration documents, your health-care coverage and your Social Insurance Number will expire at the same time.

A study permit

  • You require a study permit for the duration of the year-long program. This tutorial will take you through the process step-by-step. Some applicants may require a medical exam.

A post-graduation work permit

  • Students who complete a full-time program 8 months in duration or longer can apply for a post-graduation work permit, or PGWP. The full-time Master of Engineering Leadership and Master of Health Leadership and Policy students are eligible for the PGWP. Part-time students are not eligible.

A temporary resident visa (TRV)

  • Depending on your country of origin, you may need a TRV. For example, you will require a TRV if you are a citizen of China or India. Please visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada to see if you require a TRV.

Additional resources

The UBC International Student Guide

UBC’s International Student Guide is an excellent place to get started. It describes documentation requirements, health insurance, taxes, and travelling and staying in Canada after you graduate. The site also includes information on academic support, money and banking, health, safety, and information about resources available for your family, if they are accompanying you.

Documents for your family

It may be possible for your family members to join you in Canada while you study. The International Student Guide includes information on documentation for your family.

Keep Reading: How to Apply