News & Events

Admissions questions? How to submit your transcripts.

February 8, 2022
UBC MEL MHLP - Admission Questions: Submitting Transcripts

If you’re thinking about applying to the MEL or MHLP, you likely have some questions about the admissions process. In this series, we chat with some of our team members about the eligibility requirements and application process for the Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) and Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) degrees.

We spoke with Clement Yim, MEL & MHLP Program Manager, about how to submit your applications.

What transcripts do I need to submit with my initial application?

When you’re applying to the MEL or MHLP, you need to submit transcripts from every post-secondary institution you attended full time for one year or more.

UBC cannot accept your WES evaluations in lieu of transcripts.

If you transferred from one institution to another and had transfer credits applied to either your undergraduate degree or a master’s degree, we’ll also need to get copies of those transfer credit transcripts.

Finally, if your transcripts are not in English, you need to submit official translations along with your transcripts. Many universities can provide official translations, so that’s a good place to start. If your university doesn’t offer this service, you’ll need to hire a certified English translator to translate your transcripts word-by-word.

How do I submit my application?

For your application, we accept unofficial electronic copies of your transcripts. So if you have a physical copy of your transcripts, you can just scan them and upload them into the application system as a single PDF for each post-secondary qualification. Be sure to scan both sides of the transcripts as there is often information on the back side of the page about grading scales.

What transcripts do I need once I’ve been accepted into the program?

If you’re accepted into the MEL or MHLP, one of the conditions of your admission will be submitting official transcripts. Official transcripts are printed hard copies that are sealed in an official university envelope, endorsed by the registrar and sent directly to UBC by your previous post-secondary institutions. Some institutions are able to send us electronic versions of official transcripts through a secure site.

You will need to contact the universities where you studied and ask them to forward your official transcripts to us.

Some universities will only ever issue one set of official transcripts. If this applies to you, you can ask the university to verify a photocopy of the transcript. They’ll need to stamp the transcripts with an official stamp, seal them in an envelope endorsed by the registrar and then mail the envelope to us.

Your conditional offer letter will tell you which official transcripts you must submit to us to secure your place in the program.

What about degree certificates?

If your transcripts do not include the name of your degree and its conferral date, you’ll also need to send us your degree certificate. If this applies to you, it will be clearly listed in your conditional offer letter.

Looking for more information? Check out the other articles on admissions questions, including eligibility requirements, reference requirements, why you should apply early and how to create a strong application. UBC’s transcripts and academic documents web page provides more information about transcript requirements.