Lead change in a high-growth industry
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in High-Performance Buildings is a professional degree for architects and engineers who want to excel and drive innovation in the building industry. This hybrid master’s program combines graduate-level architecture and engineering courses with UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Across the globe, there is an increasing demand for high-performance buildings – buildings that enhance our urban environments through reduced energy use and greenhouse gas emissions while improving the overall experience of those who use them. Governments and leading organizations are seeking architects and engineers with an integrated understanding of energy systems and regenerative development to design the next generation of high-performance buildings. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and guide change.
Choose engineering and business
The MEL in High-Performance Buildings offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. You’ll take architectural courses on green building design and engineering courses on energy modelling and design. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in business strategy and innovation, operations and logistics, project management, and organizational leadership.
Gain a competitive edge
In this 12-month program you will:
- be immersed in a dynamic and integrated research environment that brings together the fields of engineering and architecture
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that incorporates hands-on learning opportunities, including two interdisciplinary capstone projects where you’ll improve the environmental performance of an existing building and develop a high-performance energy system for a new building
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.