Lead change in a high-growth industry
The Master of Engineering Leadership (MEL) in Integrated Water Management is a professional degree for engineers and environmental science graduates who want to excel and drive innovation in sustainable water management initiatives. This interdisciplinary master’s program combines graduate-level engineering courses with UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Governments and private-sector organizations across a range of industries are seeking professionals with the multidisciplinary technical skills and integrated perspective to develop sustainable solutions for water resources. They need individuals who have both a broad understanding of regulatory frameworks and a detailed knowledge of the physical, chemical and biological aspects of operations and processes. They’re also looking for individuals who have the business insight and interpersonal skills to lead multidisciplinary teams and guide change.
Choose engineering and business
The MEL in Integrated Water Management offers a unique combination of technical and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in forward-thinking organizations. Engineering courses cover the entire spectrum of water management, including engineering hydrology, water treatment design, environmental fluid mechanics, and water and wastewater management strategies. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in strategy and innovation, organizational leadership and sustainability considerations.
Study full time or part time
You can take the program either full-time over 12 months, or part-time over 24 months. With the 12-month full-time option, you’ll complete your studies in one year, expanding your knowledge base and skill set in a concentrated time frame.
The part-time option is for those who want to continue working while building their business and technical knowledge. By balancing work and study, you’ll be able to apply your new skills immediately to your workplace, and bring technical and leadership challenges from work into classroom discussion. This part-time version of the MEL in Integrated Water Management is also an opportunity to build your professional network over two years. Students pursuing this option can expect to be on campus for two weekdays each week (approximately 10 hours total).
Gain a competitive edge
In just 12-months/24-months, this master’s degree will:
- learn how to apply physical, chemical and biological unit operations and processes to water resources, while also increasing your familiarity with regulatory and environmental frameworks
- sharpen your technical and analytical skills through a project-based curriculum that covers all stages of the industry value chain and incorporates hands-on learning opportunities
- study under renowned faculty and industry experts at one of the world’s top 40 universities
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MEL students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.