Lead change in your organization
The Master of Health Leadership and Policy (MHLP) in Seniors Care is a professional degree for health-care professionals who want to design, deliver and lead comprehensive care and services for seniors in a range of community and organizational settings. This hybrid program combines graduate-level health-care courses with UBC Sauder’s Robert H. Lee Graduate School courses – giving you the skills and confidence to take your career in new directions.
Demographic trends have created a pressing need for talented health professionals to guide the future of patient-centred seniors care in community and institutional contexts. Organizations are seeking compassionate health-care specialists who can develop innovative services and programs. They’re also looking for individuals with the business perspective and interpersonal skills to successfully lead teams and guide change.
Choose health care and business
The MHLP in Seniors Care program offers a unique combination of health-care and business classes – giving you the strategic skills to play a leading role in this growing health-care sector. Health-care courses offer a holistic exploration of the epidemiology of aging, the influence of health policy on care, evidence-based decision-making and the environmental aspects of seniors care. Business courses offered by the top-ranked UBC Sauder School of Business give you a solid foundation in data analysis, project management and organizational leadership.
Study full time or part time
Choose from either a full-time (12-month) or part-time (24-month) option. With the 12-month full-time option, you’ll complete your studies in one year, expanding your knowledge base and skill set in a concentrated time frame.
The 24-month part-time option offers flexibility for those who want to continue working while building their business and technical knowledge. By balancing work and study, you’ll be able to apply your new skills immediately to your workplace, and bring technical and leadership challenges from work into classroom discussion. This part-time version of the MHLP in Seniors Care is also an opportunity to build your professional network over two years. Students pursuing this option can expect to be on campus for two weekdays each week (approximately 10 hours total).
Gain a competitive edge
Over the 12- or 24-month program you will:
- be immersed in best practices in seniors care as you develop care strategies, use conceptual and analytical tools, and explore strategies for leading operations and maintaining quality
- enhance your understanding of policy, leadership and business practices relevant to seniors care
- learn within diverse clinical practice sites as part of a curriculum grounded in experiential and community-based learning opportunities
- study with renowned faculty from the UBC School of Nursing, as well as local leaders in public- and private-sector practice sites
- expand your professional network while collaborating with other MHLP students
- gain the fundamental business, project management and interpersonal skills to advance your career and confidently take on positions of increased responsibility
Part-time study class schedule
While there is some flexibility, if you’re completing the MHLP in Seniors Care part time over 24 months, you’ll generally take your business classes and two health-care courses in the first 12-month period. In the second year of the program, you’ll typically focus on your health-care classes. Over the two years of part-time study, you’ll attend classes alongside both full-time and part-time students, giving you enhanced opportunities to build your professional network.
Learn more about this innovative professional master’s degree from our students and professors.